Job Interview Essentials: How to Address Weaknesses

Qualifications such as education and job-related experience are not the only attributes that employers look for in their employees and staff members.  One crucial quality that is often overlooked and underestimated by those who are facing a job interview is self-awareness.

Being aware of one’s own strengths, weaknesses and aptitude for learning is among the most important traits that employers look for in job candidates.  One of the most challenging interview questions that job applicants potentially face is, “What is your greatest weakness?”

The purpose of this question is not to simply identify a job candidate’s flaws, but rather to evaluate how the interviewee identifies and articulates his or her perspective of their own qualifications, personality and skill set.  Job seekers often attempt to impress interviewers by addressing a question related their weaknesses with answers such as, “I work too hard” or “I’m too passionate about my work.”  Responses such as these are transparent and empty and give no real indication of a job candidate’s value.

As with any other step in the hiring process, an honest approach to the job interview is essential.   Misleading or untruthful responses to any questions in the interview process will quickly be exposed if the dishonest candidate is hired.  Employers typically impose a probationary period on new hires which gives them the right and authority to terminate a newly hired staff member with little cause.

Exposure of false or fraudulent information that was provided during the hiring process will almost certainly cause immediate dismissal.  It is important to remember that failing to be hired for a job is much less damaging to a job seeker’s job history report than having been fired for lying to an employer.  This fact emphasizes the importance of remaining honest and forthcoming throughout the entire hiring process.   

Relevance is critical in responding to questions regarding weaknesses during a job interview.  Questions related to weakness are vague and are often designed to expose the interviewee to pressure to answer a tough question on the spot.  When preparing for a job interview, responses should be carefully considered and planned.  Humorous responses should be avoided and answers should be relevant to the job position that is being applied for. 

What are Your Three Biggest Weaknesses?

When discussing weakness in a job interview, it is important to demonstrate to the interviewer that:

  • The weakness has been identified.

  • A remedy to the weakness has been implemented.

  • The remedy has been sustainable. 

Three of the most common and easily remedied job weaknesses are as follows:

  • Punctuality

  • Fear of Public Speaking

  • Work Space Organization

Punctuality

Many people struggle with punctuality from time to time and interviewers are likely to understand and perhaps identify with that fact.  An example of a response related to punctuality:

“I have struggled with being punctual for most of my life.  As a young person I was taught the importance of reliability and commitment but I often found myself becoming distracted with other tasks that I needed to accomplish.  Those distractions sometimes resulted in me being late to a class or appointment.  I have since learned to prioritize my tasks and manage my time so that I am rarely, if ever, late for an appointment or meeting.”

Fear of Public Speaking

Public speaking is one of the most common difficulties that working professionals face.  While overcoming the fear of public speaking is not always easy to concur, it is possible with training and practice.  An example of a response related to public speaking:

“Speaking in front of a large group of people has always been challenging for me.  I have realized that self-confidence has been the root of my fear of public speaking.  I now understand that preparation, practice and self-assurance are the remedy to my fear of public speaking.”

Work Space Organization

It is important to distinguish the difference between general organizational skills and simple organization of a work space.  Many people find it difficult to arrange their desktop and documents which can result in clutter and reduced efficiency.  Many employers understand this fact and may possess this weakness themselves.  An example of a response related to work space organization:

“Although I am able to effectively prioritize my tasks and organize my agenda and work responsibilities, I have had difficulty keeping my workspace and desktop documents organized.  I have recognized that clutter and a disorganized work setting reduces efficiency.  I have made it a priority to organize my office daily, keep my workspace free of clutter and maintain easy access to tools and equipment. “

Each recommended response should be carefully tailored to personal experience.  The response to a question by an interviewer related to job weakness is often not as important as the manner in which it is presented. 

No comments:

Post a Comment